I'm planning on traveling to Texas (El Paso) in October 2014. This will be my first time traveling alone with no parents.

I do not fully understand visas and their needs. This trip is purely for pleasure and I'll be returning in 14 days...

I read that I may be eligible for a visa waiver program. Since I'm a UK Citizen (Born and Bred) and have no criminal convictions and staying less than 90 days. I have (waiting for) a passport that will have an electronic chip.

  • 1
    How will you be traveling? Flying, I presume? Or will you be crossing by land from Mexico, for instance?
    – Flimzy
    Aug 1, 2014 at 14:33
  • 1
    You've got it easy. Do the ESTA, book your flight, and bring your passport. Aug 1, 2014 at 19:04
  • 1
    I found a visa waver wizard on the us embasies website. Looks like all i need is a ESTA like @pnuts said. Thanks Aug 2, 2014 at 9:16

1 Answer 1


In the US the tourist visa is called B1/B2 visa

Generally speaking you should be able to travel under the US Visa Waiver Program for which UK Citizens are eligible.

In order to use the Visa Waiver Program you will need to apply for ESTA. This however restricts you to arriving on so called Signatory Carriers to be eligible for VWP.

Otherwise you will need to apply for a B1/B2 visa at the closes US Consulate which has a Visa Wizard to make a determination on what you will need to apply for easier.

  • A couple of nitpicks: Sometimes tourists are issued B-2 visas instead of B-1/B-2. A VWP traveler need not arrive on a signatory carrier if crossing by land from Canada or Mexico, even if they have ESTA.
    – phoog
    Mar 11, 2019 at 4:24

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .