I am traveling from Peru to Italy via London Heathrow on August 25. I will be at LHR on 26 August at 2 pm and departing at 8 pm. I'm an Peruvian national and have a valid Schengen student visa.

Do I need a transit visa to stay airside?

I have been scared that British Airways have stopped a few people from boarding flights (no details just rumors).

Do I need a transit visa to stay landside? I want to do some sightseeing. What are the chances of getting past officials using transit without visa concession?

  • Can you detail exactly what visa you have, as that may make a large difference. (What country issued it, how long it is valid for, what Schengen type it is etc)
    – Gagravarr
    Commented Jul 17, 2014 at 15:57
  • 1
    @Gagravarr Would not matter in this case since the OP is a Peruvian national. Also, it would be safe to assume that a student visa is either a long stay Category 'D' visa or a Residence Permit, which would both quality eitherway. Commented Jul 17, 2014 at 16:14

2 Answers 2


As a Peruvian Citizen, you do not need a visa if you do not enter the UK i.e for an airside transit. This is clearly mentioned on the Gov.UK website.

On the other hand if you do decide to go land side, then you may be eligible for the transit without visa concession.

You might be eligible for the ‘transit without visa concession’ if: - you arrive and depart by air - have a confirmed onward flight which leaves within 24 hours - have the correct documents for your destination (eg a visa for that country)

The keyword here to note is may. Now ideally if all those conditions are met and the immigration official does not see any malicious intent, I don't foresee a problem. In your case it seems that those conditions are met fine, so you should be able to transit without a visa in either case.


if you arrive at Heathrow and continue your flight also at Heathrow, you won't have a Problem. Make sure that you Need not to Change the Airport. Sometimes the fligts arrive at Heathrow and continue on an other Airport like Stanstedt. Then you Need a Transfer visa because you are entering UK to go to the next Airport

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .