I am 17 and I'm going to Canada to get my truck worked on and I need to know if I can get over there by myself and back and can I use my birth certificate and driver's license? It's just me driving my self with my dad in a different car so he can pick me up.

  • 4
    To clarify, are you driving yourself, or travelling with others? Do you have a passport or just a driver's license? – Mark Mayo Oct 27 '13 at 3:11
  • 1
    And I assume you're an American citizen, if you're asking about going 'over there' (ie over the land border?)? – Mark Mayo Oct 27 '13 at 3:12
  • yes im driving my self – Tyler Oct 27 '13 at 3:34
  • 1
    to get my truck worked on - What can they do there that they can't do here? – Karlson Oct 27 '13 at 16:44
  • Leaving aside the question of whether Canada will admit you, if you are a U.S. citizen you will need a passport or other WHTI-approved document like a NEXUS card or EDL to be readmitted (or spend a long time getting interviewed by CBP). – choster Oct 28 '13 at 2:13

There is a pretty good description of what is required to enter Canada for US citizens on the US Department of State website. According to it you will need a proof of citizenship and a proof of identity. Which a Driver's license and an Original Birth certificate might suffice. On top of this because you're under 18 you might also have to have a notarized letter from your parents allowing you to leave the country.

Now the question becomes how will you be able to re-enter the US. As @choster pointed out there is a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative that is supposed to make travel easier. That being said you will need a NEXUS Card or an EDL along with you original birth certificate to re-enter. Something tells me that you're not in possession of the Nexus Card because it is usually obtain by frequent travelers between US and Canada.

Also according to WHTI site only 4 states in the US issue the EDLs and the more likely scenario in order to obtain one you will need to be in possession of a US Passport, though you don't have to but it makes things easier.

So in all I would suggest getting a Passport or doing the work in the US might be a lot easier if not cheaper.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.