But what about for people who don't require a visa to enter the US but can visit on the Visa Waiver Program? Are such people allowed to job hunt in America?



From a visa website (since the original Embassy link is dead, but same content):


Can I travel to the United States on the Visa Waiver Program to find a job or attend interviews and then apply for the E-3 visa once I return to Australia?


Yes, you can travel on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if you meet the requirements (please see our page on the Visa Waiver Program). If you do not meet the VWP requirements, you may be eligible to travel on the B-1/B-2 Combined Visa for Business or Pleasure.

You must leave the United States before applying for your E-3 visa.

| improve this answer | |
  • Just to be clear, this isn't for me so hopefully it's the same for citizens of all countries under the VWP and not just Australians. – hippietrail Sep 19 '13 at 1:16
  • 1
    @hippietrail indeed, and the embassy site says just "VWP" - not Australians in particular. I just chose their site as it's in the country I'm in. – Mark Mayo Sep 19 '13 at 1:17
  • Mark see if you think the other two questions should be separate for separate types of visas? They're marked as dupes for now but the accepted answer (mine) is strongly disputed. – hippietrail Sep 19 '13 at 1:19
  • 1
    @MarkMayo: though it does say "apply for the E-3 visa", which is only for Australians. – user102008 Mar 27 '15 at 21:17
  • Unfortunately, it's commonplace that Embassy advice is (in a word) totally wrong. Consider .... travel.stackexchange.com/a/45270/19233 unless not a true story, case closed. Consider also as always, immigration officials at the door have the final word: anything anyone says (even an Embassy) is just a guideline. – Fattie Oct 5 '16 at 18:58

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.