My son's best friend is here from Japan. His parents paid for his plane ticket and sent $1,000 cash. We would like to return the money to them - his stay and expenses are our treat.

How can we do this without offending them?

  • We are in the US. Money was sent on the plane with him.
    – Kim
    Commented Jul 21, 2013 at 14:49
  • There is a proposal for a Stack Exchange site on just this topic alone, Etiquette. I advise you to follow it, recommend it to friends and contribute to it when it makes it to beta. It will be a much better place to ask questions of this nature than Travel Stack Exchange. Commented Feb 20, 2014 at 16:26

1 Answer 1


The best thing would be to simply make sure that the kid does not need to spend money while there. If the kid comes back to his parents and states "I only spent 100 for a souvenir", this would be much better than you sending then the money in any other way.

Possibly find a compromise that the kid can spend some things by himself, like inviting you all for dinner once or other symbolic things.

  • 1
    That last one is an excellent idea. It's sort of a way for him to give something back to his hosts. Sort of.
    – Rory Alsop
    Commented Jul 22, 2013 at 15:04
  • Thank you for your advice. They are a wonderful family, and we just do not want to do anything to offend them. We are paying for everything, but perhaps will let their son purchase a souvenir on his own. That might be a good compromise. Again, thank you.
    – Kim
    Commented Jul 22, 2013 at 23:32
  • 2
    @Kim if this answer solved your question, then consider clicking the tick next to this answer.
    – Golden Cuy
    Commented Dec 7, 2013 at 7:23

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .