As an example, the city of Haifa (population 280k) has a Russian consulate in addition to the main embassy in Tel Aviv. The Haifa consulate is full fledged and can issue visas, not just an honorary outpost. Is there a smaller non-capital city that has a foreign consulate or embassy?
The exact conditions are:
- The diplomatic outpost must be an embassy or a consulate, not an "honorary consulate"
- It must interact with the general public in some way, e.g. issue visas or provide consular assistance to citizens
- It must be staffed permanently, not just a few times per year
- City here is defined as the largest settlement within a 50km radius from where the consulate is located. E.g. an embassy across the river from Manhattan would count as a New York City consulate, not as a New Jersey consulate.
- The city must not be the official capital of that country
- "Smallest" is defined by the total population of the city in question