I'm an exchange student, and I'm staying in Ontario, Canada for a semester (from September to December). I'd like to visit the US by bus and come back, and I'm aware of ESTA (which to me is just the US version of Canada's eTA). I have a couple of questions:

  1. (Most important) Would I be able to exit Canada, visit the US by bus, then come back to Canada, given a valid eTA and a valid ESTA?
  2. My eTA was approved ~5 minutes after my online application. Is this the case for ESTA as well or am I running the risk of not getting my ESTA in time if I apply now (I'd like to travel in ~3 weeks from now)?


  • I've seen this question, but I'm not sure if it would be the same in my case.
  • I'm a Greek citizen, so AFAIK no special visas are required for me, apart from eTA/ESTA of course.
  • 2
    As far as I know, you only need an ESTA if traveling to the US by air or sea. If entering by land, you just show up at the border. I can't currently find confirmation of this, though. – Nate Eldredge Nov 21 '19 at 23:03
  • Yes and have $6 ready to pay at the border. – Michael Hampton Nov 21 '19 at 23:16
  • @MichaelHampton so I don’t need to apply for an ESTA then? – jimkokko5 Nov 21 '19 at 23:18
  • We've had some previous discussion of this but I also can't find it right now. As I recall, you don't need the ESTA but having it can make the land border crossing go a bit faster. – Michael Hampton Nov 21 '19 at 23:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.