I want to apply for a 6-month tourist visa to the UK. I live in the US on the H1-B visa. My H1-B visa expires in January 2020.

I will renew my H-1B in January, but need to get the UK visa before that.

I know Schengen countries require my US visa be valid for 6months before I can apply for a Schengen visa. Is that true for a UK visa as well?

1 Answer 1


The UK has no such requirement, but they are fully aware of how US visas work, so they will know that you need to have a new US visa stamped if you leave the US after your visa expires. If you have your I-797 you can submit that to prove you expect to return to the US (and thus, not overstay in the UK).

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .