Is it possible to travel the the USA on an E-2 visa with a one way flight ticket (no return), with the intention of purchasing the return flight at a later date within the allowed duration of stay? For example, within 1 year.

  • Out of curiosity, is your 1-way ticket already the return part of a round trip where you already took the first flight earlier, or did you actually manage to find a 1-way ticket cheaper than a round trip ticket? – Marc Glisse Aug 13 at 20:35

As the USCIS explains, your initial entry to the US in E-2 status is for two years, and you can extend it indefinitely. You are required to leave eventually, but you aren't required to have a return ticket at the time you enter.


Yes. You may have to convince the immigration officer that you will comply with the conditions of your admission in E-2 status, including having the means to purchase a ticket out of the country. But in any event a round trip ticket is not required when you enter.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.