I would like to know, whoever has travelled to the USA using the south african travel document how did they do it?

What is the process and how will I go about it ? Please respond . I am afraid of being rejected because they might think I am going there to stay because my document says refugee.

  • Is there a particular aspect of the application process that concerns you? travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/… If you’re asking about your chances of success, no-one can answer that with any certainty. You need to meet the admissibility criteria, including ties to your country of residence. – Traveller Aug 8 '19 at 12:41
  • I am a refugee in south Africa with a south African refugee passport – Clop23 Aug 8 '19 at 14:33
  • Tags are like an index, and help users find useful information. The site's usefulness is increased if tags are appropriate. Did you use the search box (top of the page) to search for the refugee travel document information you're seeking? – DavidSupportsMonica Aug 9 '19 at 14:43

How one may travel to the US is determined by one's citizenship. Some citizens of other countries may travel to the US for non-immigrant purposes (i.e., travel) without a visa. Others may be eligible for ESTA, an electronic system that grants (or denies) permission to come to the US border to seek admission without having a visa.

Refugee Travel Documents are accepted by some countries as sufficient for entry, but not by all countries. The US does not accept them for visa-free travel. Without knowing your country of citizenship, we cannot say if you're eligible for ESTA. Thus, to travel to the US you must apply for and receive a US visa.

US visas for persons resident in South Africa are handled by the US Embassy and Consulates in South Africa.

Note that in applying for a visa you'll have to disclose your country of citizenship. Doing that, however, may have significant legal consequences and could imperil the validity of your Refugee Travel Document. I would not apply for a visa until after I had spoken to a solicitor or attorney who is familiar with this aspect of law.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.