I'm an American citizen currently in the UK as a tourist. I'm aware of the limitations that this comes with, but I'm trying to figure out if it's in any way possible for me to make money online whilst being here?

Let's say for example I was making money from freelancing through something like fiverr (purely a theoretical example) whilst I was in the UK. Is this permitted? What are my limitations if so?

  • 1
    What's fiverr? Also, note that "visa" is an ordinary word and shouldn't be written in caps. – David Richerby Jul 19 '19 at 18:17
  • 1
    Hey, fiverr is basically a website in which you can advertise freelancing services, such as web development or essay writing in return for payment online. – Jack Hayward Jul 19 '19 at 18:23
  • I added the standard-visitor-visas tag to your quesiton, but U.S. citizens don't normally need a visa to enter the U.K. as a tourist. Can you clarify your status? – choster Jul 19 '19 at 18:24
  • 3
    OK. I don't see why it would make any difference whether you communicated with the client online or face-to-face, but hopefully somebody can answer with some actual sources. – David Richerby Jul 19 '19 at 18:29
  • 3
    You don't even need to be paid to be considered as a worker but I can't find a suitable source. A tourist does not work, and freelancing is working. – Weather Vane Jul 19 '19 at 18:46

This is covered under 4.6 and 4.7 of the Immigration Rules https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-v-visitor-rules

V 4.6 Permitted activities must not amount to the applicant taking employment, or doing work which amounts to them filling a role or providing short-term cover for a role within a UK based organisation. In addition, where the applicant is already paid and employed outside of the UK, they must remain so. Payment may only be allowed in specific circumstances set out in V 4.7.

V4.7 relates to not receiving payment from a UK source for any activities undertaken in the UK, with a few specific exceptions that don’t apply to the question posted.

See also the section on the UK in this question Where can I travel for prolonged periods of time while legally working remotely for a company in my home country?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.