Its a simple ask, how work the registration to visa free travel to russia?

1) Do I need a hotel?

2) 2.1- Can I stay at a friend’s house without an invite letter? 2.2- If yes, how does this work? Do I need to register in a hotel first? Or with a Travel agency? And then re-register when I move to my friend’s house?

Can anyone tell me something about visa-free rules?

Edit: I am a Brazilian citizen and I’ll be entering by air.

  • 1
    The answer depends upon your citizenship, and what mode of transport (plane? ferry? cruise ship? train?) you'll enter Russia. Commented Apr 27, 2019 at 19:14
  • Related question travel.stackexchange.com/questions/137324/…
    – Traveller
    Commented Apr 27, 2019 at 19:59
  • 1
    1) No. 2.1) Yes. Russo-Brazilian visa waiver agreement says that visas are necessary for short visits with the following purposes: commerce, work, activities related to religion, charities, studies, training and science. If the purpose of your trip is private, it is not on that list, so you don't need a visa, and thus you don't need an invitation. 2.2) Your friend must register your stay, and that is done relatively easily by filling out a form at a post office.
    – ach
    Commented Apr 28, 2019 at 13:33
  • 1
    @ach Please don't post answers as comments. Commented Apr 28, 2019 at 16:46
  • 1
    Please do not add ‘solved’ or anything similar to the title. Rather mark the best answer as accepted by clicking the little tick mark below the voting buttons on its left.
    – Jan
    Commented May 1, 2019 at 16:49

1 Answer 1


According to Real Russia, a reputable Russia-focused travel agency, if you're coming to Russia when invited by a friend, you just need to go the local UFMS office to get it registered. See here.

  • I will not go invited, i am going as a tourist, but i will stay in a private house. I need book a hotel before go to russia and then there register that i am at a private house? Commented Apr 27, 2019 at 23:47
  • I’m not an expert but if Russia is anything like other countries where staying in a private home requires permission from the authorities, you will almost certainly need to book a hotel and then apply to change your immigration status from visa-free (tourist) to private. The permission may not be forthcoming or may take some time; while you wait you’ll have to remain in the hotel, so I suggest you apply for the correct visa from the start. You could also contact the Russian embassy in Brazil to check what’s required.
    – Traveller
    Commented Apr 28, 2019 at 11:11
  • 1
    UFMS. FMS stands for Federal Migrational Service, in exactly that order. :) Except for this service does probably exist no more as its functions and facilities have been transferred back to the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
    – bipll
    Commented Apr 28, 2019 at 18:03
  • 1
    No, you don't need to book a hotel. Whoever owns the house you're staying at has to register you with the Ministry of Internal Affairs. Commented Apr 29, 2019 at 0:08
  • 1
    @SandyBridge A visa-free citizen dont need a invite letter to a private travel? as another person told commenting at my ask? Commented Apr 29, 2019 at 18:12

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .