I was born in Korea, so I can’t show proof of US citizenship through a birth certificate. My US passport just expired late last year. I never got a proof of citizenship because I was a dependent just until late last year. The problem is, to renew my passport, I need identification, but I don’t have a drivers license. So they told me I needed to get an ID. So, I went in to a DPS and tried to get an ID, but they told me I needed an unexpired passport. I’m kind of stuck in the middle. Is there any way that I can one or the either some way.

  • 2
    Could you clarify which country's passport you're trying to renew? And can you confirm that that country's passport office isn't accepting your expired passport as evidence of citizenship? (Many countries do. I can't tell from your question if the passport office told you that your expired passport is no good, or if you just assumed it would be no good so didn't even try to use it.) – David Richerby Mar 12 '19 at 16:41
  • The DPS told me that an expired passport is no good to get an Identification card. I have tried to get both (not assumed). – joshua kim Mar 12 '19 at 16:57
  • 2
    What's a DPS? What state or city do you live in? Most people can come up with adequate ID from the secondary ID list. Do you have a consular report of birth abroad? – phoog Mar 12 '19 at 17:25
  • 1
    I second that: You had to have a consular report of birth abroad in order to get the original passport. – Michael Hampton Mar 12 '19 at 18:08
  • It’s the Texas department of public safety. You go there to get drivers’ permits and licenses, as well as an identification card which you will need after you turn 18 if you don’t have a license, as school ID will no longer be enough for places like airports. And my birth certificate doesn’t work because it’s Korean and doesn’t prove American citizenship. Also, first generation immigrant, I got my citizenship after 7 years, I moved to the US when I was 2 so the consensus report of birth abroad doesn’t apply. Sorry for not being that clear in my original question – joshua kim Mar 12 '19 at 18:18

The US Department of State says that, if you're applying in person for a new passport, a "fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)" is enough to prove US citizenship, and a "valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card" is accepted as ID.

  • It appears that the question is more about proof of identity than about proof of citizenship, despite mention of the latter. – phoog Mar 12 '19 at 17:26
  • @phoog Good point. But the expired passport is good as ID, too. (Edited.) – David Richerby Mar 12 '19 at 17:29
  • I wonder what they mean by "fully valid ... may be expired." – phoog Mar 12 '19 at 17:36
  • Yep. Renew the passport, and then you have rock-solid unexpired ID that you can use for most other purposes, including to get other ID. – Zach Lipton Mar 12 '19 at 17:38
  • @phoog Presumably, "valid" means that it's not been revoked or something. But I'm not sure why they use different wording to describe what's needed for a passport to be used as proof of citizenship and as ID. – David Richerby Mar 12 '19 at 17:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.