How much time do I have to do the “accommodation registration at local police station” after changing location in China?

From the back of the departure card given by the Chinese immigration while entering China:

enter image description here

but it doesn't state the allowed amount of time to declare a change of accommodation.

  • Are you staying in a hotel or in private accommodation?
    – Doc
    Jan 4, 2019 at 0:26
  • @Doc private accommodation Jan 4, 2019 at 0:26

1 Answer 1


A comment on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CWbvmmRQeY&t= from JP World Expat seems to indicate that it's safer to register with the local police station within 24 hours after signing the housing contract:

They fined me a few RMB recently because I just moved to Hangzhou. I was staying in a hotel while looking for an apartment. I found an apartment, signed the contract and paid 3 months rent upfront but I still remained in the hotel 2 more days then checked out and fully moved in the apartment. The police said I had 24 hours to report this new housing contract as soon as I signed it regardless of not yet checking out of the hotel.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .