I am a dual U.K/U.S citizen and wish to spend longer than ninety days on a ski trip in Norway this winter. For the purposes of the trip Brexit shouldn’t be relevant as there will no doubt be a significant grace period before any changes are implemented. What process do I need to go through to legally stay for 110 days, bearing in mind I will be traveling consistently and will have no particular residence address other than the AirBnB or hotel I will be in on any given night? Thank you for any advice you can offer.

  • 3
    No doubt, no doubt... Until the dust has settled, anything is possible :-( – jcaron Oct 20 '18 at 21:34
  • As things stand, Britain leaves on 29th March 2019. If no withdrawal arrangement is put in place before that (and that is perfectly possible) then it's anybody's guess what the situation will be on 30th March. It's far from clear what will happen even with a withdrawal agreement in place. – user79658 Oct 20 '18 at 21:38
  • "Citizens of UK do not need a residence permit, but must register with the police within three months." – Tomas By Oct 20 '18 at 21:44
  • 1
    I gather that, but presumably you would need an actual local residence to register with the local police? Otherwise what are you registering, that you’re in town for a night? – Rue Kennington Oct 20 '18 at 21:46
  • 3
    @CannonFodder: Not really relevant because the OP has freedom of movement. – Henning Makholm Oct 20 '18 at 21:58

According to https://www.udi.no/en/word-definitions/registration-certificate-for-eueea-nationals/ you need to register with the police as an EEA national living in Norway for more than three months.

It says explicitly that you need to register only once, so presumably it will not be a problem that you move around within norway after having registered.

(The registration certificate is not a permit that can denied; it is just a receipt that documents you have told the police that, "I am going to be around").

  • Thank you!! This is wonderfully helpful as well as being wonderful news. – Rue Kennington Oct 20 '18 at 22:24
  • @RueKennington: Unfortunately it seems that what I wrote first is not true. I will edit the answer. – Henning Makholm Oct 20 '18 at 22:35
  • They cannot deny him the certificate but they can detain and deport him, no? (well, unlikely they will deport a UK citizen). – Tomas By Oct 20 '18 at 22:41
  • @TomasBy: Only if they have a particular reason to do so. The freedom of movement directive gives him an automatic right to reside in Norway; the only requirement is that he tells the authorities he's there (and satisifies the other conditions of the directive, in particular having health insurance). – Henning Makholm Oct 20 '18 at 22:43
  • 1
    Note that this is the situation as long as the UK is in the EU or EEA, or, presumably, during the expected but not yet confirmed transition period. If the UK exits the EU with a deal and without a transition period, then all bets are off. – jcaron Oct 22 '18 at 7:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.