I am trying to apply for ESTA. I am Japanese living in Mexico, with a permanent visa.

  1. Is the permanent visa a National identity card?
  2. If yes, there is no expiration date on the permanent visa. What should I put in the form? Would it be 0000?

The ESTA application is referring to national identity cards as listed in this Wikipedia page, not visas.

More specifically, Mexico does not have a national identity card system, and your permanent visa for Mexico does not count as one.

  • A national ID card doesn't have to be mandatory to count as such. Mexico has a national ID card for citizens aged 4-17, the cédula identitda personal, which I, in that situation, would definitely have listed in the application. – Crazydre Sep 11 '18 at 9:29
  • @Coke They stopped issuing those in 2013. – lambshaanxy Sep 11 '18 at 10:55
  • Ah, didn't know that. I guess existing ones are still valid though, as they're listed as passport exemptions for Mexico in TIMATIC (albeit simply referred to as national ID cards). What about the cédula de identidad ciudadana (which has greater height than width)? – Crazydre Sep 11 '18 at 11:07
  • @Coke as I understand it, Mexican law considers minors to be noncitizen nationals because they cannot vote. – phoog Sep 11 '18 at 15:13
  • Coke's "doesn't have to be mandatory" comment is correct, however. What I think they're asking about is a non-passport citizenship document. These are available in several countries, and they are mandatory or not to varying degrees. Indeed, Coke has written many times on this site about his Swedish ID card, which, apparently, relatively few Swedes have. – phoog Sep 11 '18 at 15:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.