DHL recently lost my passport, and, of course, it's a week before I fly to Warsaw for a wedding :) I have a Blue Card issued in Berlin, where I live and work, which is valid until 05/2022. Otherwise, I have an Israeli ID card, being probably not helpful.

Do you think I can expect problems boarding the flight? Is it just a matter of luck if they ask for my passport?


  • I believe you are required to have the passport with you as well as the blue card when you cross from Poland back to Germany. That applies no matter how you travel. Your blue card is not, technically, an identity document.
    – o.m.
    Jul 28, 2018 at 14:18
  • What did your consulate say? A week should normally be plenty of time for a consulate to issue a short-term emergency passport.
    – krubo
    Jul 28, 2018 at 15:04
  • The blue card is not actually a document, but rather the type of visa you have. If you have a card, that's a Aufenthaltstitel issued under §19a Aufenthaltsgesetz. The card as a visa is only valid in conjunction with your passport and the little extra paper that states which kind of field you are allowed to work in.
    – simbabque
    Aug 8, 2018 at 15:28

2 Answers 2


If the airline requires you to carry a passport depends on which airline you are flying with and perhaps which airport you are flying from.

I am not sure about Polish law, but German law requires you to carry a recognized travel document (passport or EEA national identity card) when crossing its border, both leaving and entering. There is no permanent immigration or id check by the authorities when crossing from Germany to Poland, but random checks do occur.


You should contact your nearest embassy or consulate to replace your passport. I would describe to them the situation, probably they will make it fast. Concerning the flight: IMHO, it is just a matter of luck (or maybe of internal rules of the airline) if they ask for the passport. But I wouldn't try to travel without the passport.

  • Since they accept German ID cards, and the Aufenthaltstitel looks like a blue-red version of the ID, has an issue date and a photo and the name, chances are they'll allow it for identification. There is no need to go past border controls for an intra-Schengen flight, so it might be alright.
    – simbabque
    Aug 8, 2018 at 15:30
  • @simbabque I wouldn't say so.
    – colombien
    Aug 9, 2018 at 9:39
  • Blue Card is is a residence title. "Residents have to possess up to three different documents: a passport from their country of citizenship, their residence permit, and the supplementary sheet (if applicable). Carrying passports and residence cards is compulsory when crossing borders" (Wikipedia). For the flight documentation requirements, one should check the airline terms and conditions.
    – colombien
    Aug 9, 2018 at 9:47

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .