I'm a Malaysian and have been in the UK for 5 months under my visa-free leave to enter for 6 months. I took a break from my career and packed my bags to be with my partner, who is a British citizen, and travelled around Europe together. I'm going back next month February 25th as my passport was stamped on August 28th (marks almost 6 months in the UK) and I'm planning to come back here for summer holiday with my partner and travel around Europe again. I'm now wondering if there is a cooling period, before I am allowed to enter the UK again.

  • Leave to stay or Leave to Remain ? The latter is a different category of visa altogether. What category of visa are you in ?
    – DumbCoder
    Commented Jan 12, 2018 at 14:23
  • @DumbCoder OP is most likely travelling visa-free.
    – Crazydre
    Commented Jan 12, 2018 at 15:42
  • "Traveling around Europe" tends to imply that you weren't in the UK the whole time. Have you been continuously in the UK since your entry five months ago?
    – phoog
    Commented Jan 13, 2018 at 4:22

1 Answer 1



There isn't a formal cooling off period.

However there is a rule that you should not attempt to live in the UK through frequent or sucessive visits. If you start spending too much time in the UK then they are likely to get you on this but exactly how much is too much is at the descretion of the border guard.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .