I have a work authorization for Switzerland valid until 19th April 2018 for 4 months max.

I intended to get a short-stay work visa for 120 days (Type D visa) but due to an incorrect appointment at VFS, I received a short-stay business visa (Type C) for 90 days only, even though I had sent my work authorization letter with the application.

I want to know how I can cancel this business visa and how I can get the work visa for 120 days since I have a valid Swiss work authorization letter and I have not yet travelled.

Please help. Let me know if you need more details.

Thanks, Sameer

  • 1
    120 days is not "short stay" in the Schengen terminology. Oct 27, 2017 at 21:05
  • Ok. But i have work authorization letter for it. So is it possible to get the work permit visa dor 120 days now
    – sameer59
    Oct 28, 2017 at 1:55
  • Visa form for Type C and Type D visas are different. Are you sure you filled the correct form?
    – RedBaron
    Oct 28, 2017 at 6:29
  • Is it possible now to get the Type D visa by taking new apointment and new form? And get this Type C visa cancelled ?
    – sameer59
    Oct 28, 2017 at 6:42
  • 1
    Per this question type C and type D visas are regarded as distinct visas and can overlap so possibly you don't need to cancel the existing visa. However as the same consulate will process your type D visa application they may refuse your application and cancel existing visa. I can only recommend contacting swiss visa section by mail and owning up to your mistake of filling the wrong form. They will know what to do (will probably involve fresh type d application with new fee)
    – RedBaron
    Oct 28, 2017 at 7:46

1 Answer 1


I had sent an email to the Swiss Embassy and they replied that - It was an error on their end and they requested me to resubmit my passport, work authorization letter and email copy. And they said they will rectify it.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .