I am a citizen of India and currently have a Canadian visitor visa that expires in 2018. I currently live in the US. My flight plan at the end of this year from US to India involves a layover in Canada for a couple of hours. Do I still need a transit visa or is my visitor visa enough?

  • Do you have a green card?
    – phoog
    Aug 28 '17 at 21:47

No, nope, never. You do not need a transit visa. Visit visas are superior to transit visas. If you have a valid visit visa you can certainly transit through.

If you are eligible to apply to enter a country on its border (which you are) you are certainly eligible to apply for a transit through it.

As noted in the comment below, if you have only a single entry visa then its for you to decide whether you want to use that entry or apply for a transit visa because if you use a single entry visa for a transit it will still be called USED. However for Canada and many other countries visit visas are multiple entry usually.

Let's say any future reader has a Green Card and no Canadian Visa they can obtain an eTA online quickly to transit through Canada.

  • 1
    The problem that arises, however, is when you have a single-entry visa -- wasting that on a transit would be regrettable. We have a question on here somewhere asking about a Chinese single-entry visa and how to TWOV so as to not use up the single-entry. (Not sure it that one was ever resolved.) Aug 28 '17 at 20:45
  • Canadian Single entry visas are rare these days Aug 28 '17 at 22:03
  • 1
    You specified "a country", not "Canada". General answers are cool but you have to talk about the edge cases that might not apply to the specific country in question. :) (Also 'rare' implies 'still happens on occasion'. I don't know anything about Canadian visas, tho.) Aug 28 '17 at 22:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.