Skip to main content
262 votes

How to lift a lifetime ban from Canada due to marijuana?

Get an immigration attorney, a competent one. This is not the kind of question for which you solicit answers from random guys on the internet. It is not a trivial matter. Typically the fact that the ...
Augustine of Hippo's user avatar
132 votes

Leaving Thailand after months-long overstay (can't pay fine)

This question has been asked many times, so I guess you've already found some nice resources (one, two) on this topic. You will pay the 20,000 THB fine. Possibly, more. Possibly, after imprisonment. ...
Be Brave Be Like Ukraine's user avatar
106 votes

Can Customs make me go back to return my electronic equipment or is it a scam?

No, the Customs cannot make you go back, and return the equipment. What the Customs can do is one of the following: Let you in with the item, optionally after duty is paid, if required. If you don't ...
George Y.'s user avatar
  • 22k
102 votes

Do I need a serious reason to enter a US Embassy as a US Citizen?

It's possible that the answer will vary depending on the specific embassy/consulate, but to use the US Consulates in Australia as an example... No, you can not. Even as a US citizen you are required ...
Doc's user avatar
  • 123k
98 votes

Etihad refusing to board at AUH despite being medically fit to fly, airport police called and now being detained (Updated 2022-06-03 with resolution)

This is something well beyond the scope of Travel.SE as it involves a potential disaster, including jail time and an entry ban. The priorities of your friend should be: Forget about "justice&...
JonathanReez's user avatar
  • 82.9k
85 votes

Recently naturalized American visiting the UK, previously denied visa. Apply for entry clearance?

To answer my question myself after my experience from two subsequent visits: Is this better than applying for entry clearance ahead of time, bearing in mind obtaining entry clearance ahead of time ...
Augustine of Hippo's user avatar
83 votes

I didn't do any exit passport control when leaving Japan. What should I do?

I called the immigration office at KIX, and apparently, as of about a week ago, they are using automated facial recognition gates to quickly check out people staying on temporary visas, so I will not ...
dattebane's user avatar
  • 881
78 votes

Can Customs make me go back to return my electronic equipment or is it a scam?

To recap, with thanks to many commenters, there are a number of suspicious factors in this question: Nigeria - a country well known for scams of this type. Not that there aren't many legitimate ...
Zach Lipton's user avatar
  • 86.3k
77 votes

How did the Dublin airport immigration agent know that I was refused entry to the UK after visually inspecting my passport?

Immigration information is shared between the UK and Ireland under a bilateral agreement, but the most obvious clue are the black lines stamped over your UK immigration stamp. The UK uses that cross ...
Zach Lipton's user avatar
  • 86.3k
77 votes

How can a US citizen whose passport was stolen get home?

Just go to the nearest US embassy or consulate on a working day (i.e. Monday to Friday, not the 25th of December, not January 1st) with the police declaration/report and evidence of your flight date. ...
jcaron's user avatar
  • 81k
70 votes

Can Customs make me go back to return my electronic equipment or is it a scam?

I don't want to worry or scare you, but— no, actually I do. I need to. You must be open-minded and clear about this, because the situation is incredibly suspicious. Let's sum up what we know so ...
Lightness Races in Orbit's user avatar
70 votes

Madrid to London w/ Expired 90/180 days stay as US citizen

You seem to be trying to pretend that an overstay is no big deal. It's a big deal. Fix it. Someone has identified an extremely affordable flight, and you need to be on it so you are in UK soil by ...
Harper - Reinstate Monica's user avatar
67 votes

Why did a Customs agent ask a US citizen about residency?

CBP stands for Customs and Border Protection. Proof of citizenship, as other answers have pointed out, resolves the issue of whether you should be allowed to enter. It does not resolve the issue of ...
Patricia Shanahan's user avatar
66 votes

Can I enter the USA? I have dual citizenship (Japan and USA), but I have been to Iran with my Japanese passport

I would like to know if dual nationality US citizen should hand in both passports when entering USA There's nothing requiring a US citizen to show foreign passports on entering the US, or even to ...
phoog's user avatar
  • 135k
66 votes

US citizen lost passport, stuck in Canada without a passport

Since this is a straightforward 'US passport lost abroad question', this is what you should do, the easiest method: What should a U.S. citizen do if his/her passport is lost/stolen abroad? You ...
Newton's user avatar
  • 4,533
63 votes

US Citizen with dual nationality entering US on ESTA, what's the worst that can happen?

Instead of trying stunts like lying on your ESTA which have potential consequences, contact the nearest US embassy and seek advice. You are not the first US citizen to be abroad and need to get back ...
Jack Aidley's user avatar
  • 3,733
61 votes

My girlfriend lives in the UK and I want to be able to come and leave as I please for next 3 years—which visa should I get?

Standard visitor visa seems like it's not long enough. I would like to come and go as I please. I would like to add I'm currently in the UK, have been here for 3.5 months. There's no way to do what ...
MJeffryes's user avatar
  • 16.6k
61 votes

Must you tell the truth about your marital status on a passport application?

Lying on a passport application is a serious crime punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 or up to 10 years in prison. will there be any trouble? No ...
Hilmar's user avatar
  • 103k
60 votes

Is it legal to meet with potential future employers in the UK, whilst visiting from the USA

This activity appears to be permitted in the UK, per Home Office Immigration Rule Appendix V, Visitors Appendix 3 Section 5 (a). Business - general activities 5 A visitor may: (a) attend meetings, ...
Richard's user avatar
  • 3,711
58 votes

Do I need a passport for a few days emergency visit to Canada?

I'm sorry to hear about your father. There are a few different forms of travel documents that are acceptable for this trip, but if you're traveling by air and don't have a passport, getting a passport ...
Zach Lipton's user avatar
  • 86.3k
55 votes

Do US citizens need a reason to enter the US?

Is that incorrect? No, you are correct. A US citizen cannot be denied entry to the US. However, CBP (Customs & Border Protection) has the means for making this a miserable experience for you, if ...
Hilmar's user avatar
  • 103k
54 votes

Does a verified US citizen need a police & medical report to return from Ghana?

First off I believe you are being scammed. Being Ghanaian and American, having had extensive interactions with the American Embassy in Accra, and having lived in Ghana for decades, I have some ...
Augustine of Hippo's user avatar
53 votes

Can the US embassy help a broke American citizen overstayed in the Emirates?

U.S. Embassy & Consulate in the United Arab Emirates Emergency Financial Assistance U.S. consuls can assist U.S. citizens abroad who are temporarily destitute due to unforeseen circumstances. ...
Giorgio's user avatar
  • 35.4k
53 votes

Entering the US with dual citizenship but US passport is long expired?

7 weeks should be enough time for a new passport. I would suggest you contact your local US consulate immediately and get the process started, letting them know of your time constraint. There are ...
Nate Eldredge's user avatar
52 votes

Can my 2 children, aged 10 and 12, who are US citizens, travel to the USA on expired American passports?

If they manage to get to a port of entry, they should eventually be admitted, though it may not be a fun experience. However the airline will almost certainly not let them board an international ...
hmakholm left over Monica's user avatar
50 votes

Can I enter the USA? I have dual citizenship (Japan and USA), but I have been to Iran with my Japanese passport

Do not show your Japanese passport in the US. None of their business. Do not show your US passport in Japan. You would lose you Japanese citizenship. As others said, you cannot be denied entry in the ...
TheGrouch HK's user avatar
  • 1,269
49 votes

Madrid to London w/ Expired 90/180 days stay as US citizen

Americans who arrive in the UK with no definite plans, no return travel planned, and little money are often questioned extensively at the border and may be denied entry and removed. In your case, if ...
hmakholm left over Monica's user avatar

Only top scored, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible