I am going to Canada, I have a valid U.S. tourist visa (B1/B2). Can I transit via a U.S. airport on the way to Canada with this visa? Logically I know I can since I am allowed to enter the U.S. but I am just making sure.


A B1/B2 visa is good to transit through US airports. I have asked an immigration officer in Dulles airport.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    @CGCampbell you are assuming that "transit" means "pass through the airport without passing through border controls." Actually, it means "traveling in immediate and continuous transit through the United States enroute to another country." See travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/other/transit.html – phoog Feb 25 '15 at 0:03

So I couldn't find the exact answer but you will need to fill an I-94 at the time you enter the US.

The I-94 states a couple things about your identity, but especially the customs officer will ask how long you stay in the US, what you will do and where you will stay. Whenever you enter the US, you had better know an address where you will stay. If you don't stay in the US (if you leave the country within the day) maybe you don't have to provide such information, but you can still prepare it in case.

Apart from that, I see no reason why you wouldn't enter the US (well unless you don't respect the law obviously). By the way don't bring food it's forbidden.

EDIT based on comments.

| improve this answer | |
  • The I94 is just the arrival/departure form, no? – Mark Mayo Sep 30 '12 at 20:00
  • yes it is, green or white depending on your visa. The paper that is famous for the questions asked :) – Vince Sep 30 '12 at 20:14
  • 2
    I think Mark's point is that you don't get an I-94, you just fill in an I-94 when you land. – Kate Gregory Sep 30 '12 at 22:22
  • 3
    semantics: Respecting the law isn't a requirement. Following the law(s) are. incorrect fact: not all foods are forbidden. – CGCampbell Jul 9 '14 at 16:07
  • 3
    I very strongly suspect that a transit passenger could respond to the request for an address in the USA by writing "TRANSIT". – phoog Feb 25 '15 at 0:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.