This question already has an answer here:

What it says on the tin: I'm a U.S. national adult and I need to send my passport out for visa processing this week. On August 10, I'm flying to San Francisco from Chicago and my passport is the only currently valid form of id I have.

Will I be able to get away with using my (expired) driver's license in combination with a photocopy of my passport?


marked as duplicate by choster, mts, Some wandering yeti, phoog, Giorgio Jul 27 '17 at 0:35

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 6
    Welcome to TSE; please see Can a person in the USA fly with an expired driving license? The short answer is no: neither an expired ID nor a photocopy of an ID are acceptable. You will likely be directed to follow the instructions under the "Forgot Your ID?" section of the TSA's Identification page. – choster Jul 26 '17 at 21:41
  • 1
    You have more than two weeks - that might be enough time to renew your driver's license if you hurry. – Nate Eldredge Jul 26 '17 at 23:08

The "REAL ID" FAQ says any state driver's license, for now. Doesn't say "unexpired"--I don't know whether that should always be assumed or not. The expiration technically refers to your driving privilege. It's still good ID. But we all know TSA doesn't always make sense.

See this for other options.

  • Your "this" link says (emphasis added) "must show valid identification." – phoog Jul 27 '17 at 0:29

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.