I am a Canadian citizen. I have lived in the US and have a permanent resident card. I ordered my Canadian passport but won't receive it before it's time for me to travel. Can I travel into Canada and get my passport at the Winnipeg passport office in person?

  • 1
    Do you currently reside in the US? Will you be traveling into Canada from the US? If so, by land or air?
    – phoog
    Jul 24, 2017 at 19:56
  • do you have any other proof Canadian citizenship? Jul 24, 2017 at 20:13
  • I am driving from Utah to Ontario. I have my birth certificate as well as my US permanent resident card.
    – GmaB
    Jul 24, 2017 at 20:19
  • I think you might be okay with that. If you can reach a Canada border officer they'll admit you as a Canadian with a birth certificate + ID; having the green card is even better. The usual problem is that this isn't enough to get you on a plane to Canada to reach the border officer that way, but you can drive to the border.
    – Dennis
    Jul 24, 2017 at 20:28
  • 1
    @KateGregory since green card holders can enter with their green cards only, additional proof of Canadian citizenship should be unnecessary.
    – phoog
    Jul 24, 2017 at 23:00

1 Answer 1


If travelling by air, the only accepted document other than a passport is a NEXUS card, as stated in Timatic, the database used by airlines

Otherwise, as stated by the CBSA, you can also use a citizenship certificate, or Green card (not mentioned), or enhanced driving licence.

Or, alternatively, a birth certificate plus one of the following

• CANPASS card

• Commercial Driver Registration Program card

• Ordinary driving license

• Employment or student card with photo and signature

• Provincial Health Insurance Card

• Provincial identity card

• Canadian Forces Identification

• Police Identification

• Firearms Acquisition Certificate

• Social Insurance Number Card

• Credit Card

• Vehicle Insurance Certificate

• Vehicle Registration

  • I am a permanent resident of the US. I only have my birth certificate from Canada. My drivers license and concealed carry permit and all other identification are from Utah, not Canada. I have applied for my Canadian passport and would like to pick it up in person in Winnipeg. Can I cross the border and go into Winnipeg to get it without my passport.
    – GmaB
    Jul 24, 2017 at 20:29
  • 1
    @GmaB As Long as you have photo ID matching your birth certificate, it will suffice in practice (after all, a Canadian cannot be refused entry to their own Country). So Show your Utah DL and you should be fine, possibly with some delays
    – Crazydre
    Jul 24, 2017 at 20:40
  • 1
    @GmaB, show the green card too (or instead). A green card alone is sufficient to visit Canada even if you aren't Canadian. It also confirms your country of birth.
    – Dennis
    Jul 24, 2017 at 20:51
  • 2
    Canada admits US permanent residents with only their green card, and so does the US.
    – phoog
    Jul 24, 2017 at 23:01
  • @phoog That too
    – Crazydre
    Jul 25, 2017 at 7:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.