This question already has an answer here:
I was looking for some advice on going to China from the US. I have dual citizenship, Japan and US, and I want to use my Japanese passport to enter China.
US to China
- At the counter: show JP passport.
- At immigration: show US passport (LAX doesn't have leaving immigration?).
- Entering China: show JP passport.
China to US
- At the counter: show US passport.
- At immigration: show JP passport.
- Entering the US: show US passport.
I am worried about being asked where I was when I re-enter the US. Will it matter if I tell them China, even if I didn't go through immigration with my US passport?