I had lost my wallet at the Amsterdam airport which had my residence permit, issued by a country in the Schengen area. I realized it only when I reached my destination. Luckily, the authorities found my wallet and my residence permit. The problem is that it is with the authorities in Amsterdam, while I am in Dubai. When I spoke with the authorities, they told me I can travel to Amsterdam and tell the Immigration officer that my residence permit is with them.

Still, I am worried that the airline won't let me check in without it. I do have a duplicate copy.


The Lost and Found department has found my wallet and now the immigration officers have my residence permit.

A big lesson learnt : Even though you lose your IMPORTANT PROPERTY in an airport, try to contact the lost and found department of the airports to check if they have your lost property.

  • Do you mean your passport? I am not aware of any paper Schengen visas. Jul 17, 2017 at 6:26
  • Sorry the ID Card which is given as the visa in the schengen countries :) and not the passport Jul 17, 2017 at 6:30
  • Ah, okay so your permanent resident card was lost. You need to show a copy of your card, or if your passport still has visa, that would suffice or simply a confirmation from the authorities in Amsterdam (like an email) that you can travel. Jul 17, 2017 at 6:31
  • Thank you very much @BurhanKhalid ! I really appreciate it Jul 17, 2017 at 6:37
  • 2
    Technically, this card is a “residence permit”. Using the most accurate terminology might prevent some misunderstanding.
    – Relaxed
    Jul 17, 2017 at 7:45


Browse other questions tagged .