I have a valid NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero) NIE from my studies in Spain. I need to fly directly to Sweden and back to Johannesburg. My Spanish visa expired, but my NIE is still valid. Will they allow me to fly with the NIE, since it is for student residency in Spain and I will not be entering Spain?

  • National Identity Card for Foreigners
    – Ronaldo
    Jul 11, 2017 at 14:29
  • @Ronaldo please edit that in your question.
    – Glorfindel
    Jul 11, 2017 at 14:34
  • @Ronaldo Where are you connecting? Direct flights from South Africa to Sweden don't exist
    – Crazydre
    Jul 11, 2017 at 15:30
  • Johanesburg Dubai Stockholm...fact is stockholm is the first and last point of entry into the EU...il fly back straight from there back to Jhb
    – Ronaldo
    Jul 11, 2017 at 15:41

1 Answer 1


You cannot use NIE for entering Sweden. And since your visa has expired you cannot enter neither Spain nor Sweden at all. NIE does not give you permission to stay in Schengen area.

You'll have to apply for a new visa.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .