I will be moving to the UK in August with Tier 2 long term visa. I'm an Indian passport holder. I would want to get a Schengen visa as soon as possible. How could I get one without waiting for 3 months after getting a residence permit? Is there any way to get the visa as soon I get the RP?

  • What makes you think you'd have to wait for months?
    – phoog
    Commented Jul 9, 2017 at 13:50
  • 1
    I don't understand what is this 3 months wait ? There is nothing that can be done to "speed up" the visa process, except maybe get a priority appointment at a third party visa processing center (like VFS, if the country you are planning to get the visa for outsources their services). Commented Jul 9, 2017 at 21:49
  • 1
    Why do you need a Schengen visa? UK is not in the Schengen Area, and you have a separate visa to move to the UK. If you really need a Schengen visa for some reason before the 3-month term, you can apply at the relevant Schengen country's embassy or consulate in India. The 3-month limit is for applying from the UK.
    – DUman
    Commented Jul 9, 2017 at 22:49
  • To apply for a Schengen visa from the UK you must be a UK resident for at least three months. Read more at schengenvisainfo.com/apply-from-uk/#wjk4gfGZecSpdtKy.99 . I wanted to know if i can get a Schengen Visa as soon as i get Residence permit , as it says i will have to be a resident for 3 months.
    – Sania
    Commented Jul 10, 2017 at 5:03
  • The schengen visa info website seems to have the wrong information. VFS websites don't have any information as such for schengen visas and they are the 3rd party where you will file your application.
    – DumbCoder
    Commented Jul 10, 2017 at 8:57

1 Answer 1


I believe you misunderstood the visa requirements. According to VFS Global:

UK residence permit (original and copy): valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen area.

Which means you need your residency permit to be valid for at least 90 days after you return from the Schengen area, rather than the opposite way. So you can go ahead and apply without waiting.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .