I am a non-European living in Italy. Currently, my permesso di soggiorno has expired and I have applied for a new one. However, I need to go to another Schengen country for a job meeting before I get my permesso di soggiorno. Do you think if it is possible for me to get a temporary permit to travel in Schengen area from the Questura office in my city if I supply my claim with proper documentation?

Thanks for the help.

  • depends the Questura, some can give you a temporary permit, some not. Any chance you can get your new permit before your trip? – Guido Preite Jul 3 '17 at 22:49
  • Unfortunately not. – Numan Jul 4 '17 at 11:08

It is possible and you need to apply for a residence permit called: Permesso di soggiorno provvisorio.

Here is a list of documents you need to submit to the police station:

  1. The expired residence card
  2. The receipt of the post office for the renewal request
  3. Original passport
  4. 4 Photos
  5. 16€ stamp (Marca Da Bollo)
  6. (last but not least) a document that proves you need to go to another country before receiving your new card. I found this module from the website of Questura that you need to fill - regarding the motivation you can see some examples here. Work trip, school trip and reservation of a plane ticket are some of them. In your case I would try asking the host company to send me a sort of invitation letter that could strengthen the request.
  • Thank you very much. Do you know how much time I need to wait to get it after I applied? – Numan Jul 4 '17 at 11:09
  • Tbh not sure about that but in the third link I provided above someone claims to have received it within 3 days and considering the reason behind its existence (urgency) it makes sense to be issued a lot faster than the normal one. – hatef Jul 4 '17 at 11:15
  • Thank you very much. One last question. I am planning to go to Denmark with that permit from Italy. However, do you know if I can go out of Schengen zone directly from Denmark, or I have to come back to Italy? – Numan Jul 4 '17 at 11:21
  • As long as I know, once issued is a valid residence permit and should follow the same rules as a normal one. Regardless, you could make sure by asking the officer in the questura. – hatef Jul 4 '17 at 12:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.