I have a friend who is American, and cannot qualify under any normal visa for the UK. I heard teaching is in high demand in the UK and it is possible to work as a teacher if the company you are working for applies for a special work permit for you.

My friend is not a qualified teacher (no teaching degree), but she has 6 months experience teaching a class of pre-school students by her self. If she travelled to England on a tourist visa (6 months) how likely is it she would be able to find a job (pre-school or otherwise) and the company would apply for a work permit for her?

closed as off topic by Beaker, VMAtm, Dori Jul 13 '11 at 23:01

Questions on Travel Stack Exchange are expected to relate to traveling within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Is this for charity work or for a paid job? Visa category and rules vary according to that. – Ankur Banerjee Jul 12 '11 at 16:45
  • Ideally it would be paid, but she would be more than happy with charity work if it could lead to a work visa in a reasonable amount of time, can you expand more on the rules please? Thanks for your reply. – Moz Jul 12 '11 at 22:05
  • 1
    One thing to be aware of is that immigration is a bit political in the UK at the moment, and cracking down on un-skilled / low skill immigration from outside the EU seems to be the government's preferred way to "look tough" whilst being legal. Expect things to be tougher than they used to be... – Gagravarr Jul 13 '11 at 9:25
  • 1
    I think this question has a good chance of getting an answer from somebody with direct experience if you as on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree: lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=25 – hippietrail Jul 13 '11 at 9:29

There are two categories of visa that could be applicable in this case:

Whether a company sponsors without a teaching degree is up to the company; this should be easier in the case of working in charitable organisations.

  • So the company can decide to sponsor without a teaching degree? I was worried it was against the law or similar to do so? – Moz Jul 13 '11 at 12:29
  • I am not away of any documentation on this being illegal, but it will be very hard to get a sponsor if there are comparable British candidates. And while there's no specific visa rules on teachers, there may very well be directives / standard practices in teaching institutions not to hire people without a teaching degree. That's outside the scope of Travel.SE of course. – Ankur Banerjee Jul 13 '11 at 13:37

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.