I am writing this query from Pakistan. I will be applying for a short term visitor visa for Germany next week. I intend to visit both my parents who reside there. My father has German citizenship but is unable to sponsor me on account of him being retired and living on pension from the state. I have received an invitation letter from a sponsor, who happens to be a family friend.

I will be covering my own expenses during the stay and have corresponding documents to show that.

Can I stay with my parents during the visit, even if someone else has extended an invitation letter to me? Should I mention it in the covering letter for the sponsor letter?

  • Yes, you can indicate that your parents will house you and therefore cover the housing cost. Commented Jun 10, 2017 at 16:38
  • If you are covering your own costs, and staying with your father, a German citizen, why do you need a sponsor?
    – Giorgio
    Commented Jun 11, 2017 at 0:49
  • 1
    Sponsor letter from a resident in Germany is one of the visa requirements. Probably a guarantor for my return at the end of the trip.
    – koldsnap
    Commented Jun 11, 2017 at 11:01
  • Noone is going to check where you're going exactly. You shouldn't lie, but you don't have to include your entire itinerary.
    – simbabque
    Commented Jun 12, 2017 at 9:46

1 Answer 1


As you are self-paying for the trip to Germany, and have provided proof of your financial status, you can stay with your relatives and should only need the invitation letter from them. If you have also had to include a Verpflichtungserklärung, the affidavit/declaration of support, it imposes a number of legal financial obligations on the person who obtained it on your behalf, but does not mean that you must stay with them.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .