I am Japanese. I was accepted to do internship at university in USA. This university is very close to Canada. I wonder if it is possible that I enter US by ESTA and travel somewhere and then receive DS-2019 face to face, and go to US consulate in Canada to get Visa. Is it ilegal?

I tried to find out about this but I could not get information that I ex actly need. Please give me your knowleage.

closed as off-topic by Giorgio, David Richerby, Gayot Fow, Michael Seifert, Ali Awan Jun 5 '17 at 3:51

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Yes you can do so. It is not illegal. – user 56513 Jun 4 '17 at 9:06
  • 1
    I fear this might be better on Expats rather than Travel. – JoErNanO Jun 4 '17 at 15:10
  • on the official paper, my intern will be started on 15th July. If I stay in US by ESTA until over 15th, it would be illegal. But if I just go to Canada before 15th, the stay before 15th is regarded as travel not for intern, not for any other reasons. Isn't it? Yes I know, if they,US immigration office, regard traveling Canada as leaving US is big worrisome. – Masaki Jun 4 '17 at 16:24