What amount of cash I can take with me when going from Canada to USA? I want to travel to US and want to take ~ 12000$ with me. DO I need to declare it and pay any fee?

  • 4
    $12K cash? Do you need a lift from the airport? :)
    – Doc
    Sep 11, 2012 at 0:27
  • The US requires you to report it. They don't prohibit it, nor do they charge any fee. Sep 12, 2012 at 22:26
  • There is no limit; you can carry as much as you are comfortable with. You just have to declare any amount above $10,000 and be able to justify the source and the reason you are carrying the cash. Dec 14, 2015 at 19:17

2 Answers 2


Travelers leaving or entering the U.S. with more than $10,000 (in any form, that includes cash or checks) are required to declare it by filling out a Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments (FinCEN 105). This applies even if you are passing through the U.S. in transit to other countries.

Source: eHow

  • 1
    FinCEN 105 is quite specific as to what is considered a "monetary instrument" and ordinary checks made out to a named recipient (and not endorsed) are excluded. Dec 3, 2015 at 18:12

In addition to Heidel's point that the US cares you are taking more than $10,000 out of the USA, Canada cares that you are bringing more than $10,000 in. The form you will fill out on arrival is at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf and you can see they want to know if you have that amount of cash on you.

According to http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/cbcr-dmte/menu-eng.html you don't have to pay any fee, and you are allowed to bring the money, but you MUST tell them about it. Just allow some time to have a conversation with the CBSA on arrival.

  • 1
    I believe you've got this the wrong way around. The direction of travel is Canada -> US.
    – Doc
    Sep 11, 2012 at 4:44
  • 1
    You're right, sorry. I'll leave the answer though, because a searcher might be interested in the other direction Sep 11, 2012 at 20:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.