My truck and I are US citizens. The truck permit for 6 months in Mexico cost $485. I must be at the border by 6/6 and I'm 8 hours away. The problem is I can't find my passport! What will happen? Can I check the truck out of Mexico without my passport so I don't loose $485? Do I have to leave Mexico or can I get another permit and deal with my lost passport at a consulate and avoid going into the states? What a mess...

  • 2
    Please clarify where you are, where your truck is, and what movement is required to avoid the loss. – Patricia Shanahan Jun 2 '17 at 11:42
  • 1
    @PatriciaShanahan sorry, but did your read the question at least? – motoDrizzt Jun 2 '17 at 12:12
  • 4
    By the way your truck can't be a US citizen. :-) – user 56513 Jun 2 '17 at 13:04
  • 1
    @DJClayworth That is correct however a passport is not the only means of proof. There are cases where people have been verified through answering detailed questions about themselves and other secondary evidence. – user 56513 Jun 2 '17 at 13:35
  • 1
    @tasha you should add that as a self-answer. Self-answers are encouraged. – Midavalo Jun 6 '17 at 4:55

OP provided feedback on the experience:

Here's what happened. I went through the steps of 'cancelling' the 6-month vehicle permit, turning in papers and scraping the sticker off the window, as I was returning to the US. The cost was rolled back onto my card. At the US border, I explained to the officer that I couldn't find my passport. With my current driver's license, confirmed by my vehicle registration, and after the dog sniffed his approval, I was welcomed back with a friendly scolding to be more careful with my important papers!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.