Are there Zen temples in Japan that allow staying there for a few months for meditation for foreigners? How much does that cost? Are there free ones? How about visa?

  • As with all questions about visas, please state your citizenship. – Nate Eldredge Jun 2 '17 at 4:12
  • @NateEldredge, I mean visa in the context of my question, not in general visa to japan. – アレックス Jun 2 '17 at 5:13
  • Why would you need a visa to enter a temple? What exactly do you mean? – Robert Columbia Jun 12 '18 at 22:15

Japanese temples don't provide place for meditation for random people, it's only for real followers and pilgrims. Several temples allow to stay for a night only for a fee, again you can only see ceremonies from side. All temples allowing tourists I know are not Zen as it's not the main school in Japan. But they require booking and have queue, they prefer real pilgrims than tourists. You need at least tourist visa.

  • 3
    "Zen" is not a school, but a philosophy and a set of practices. The main Buddhist schools in Japan that follow it are Soto, Rinzai and Obaku. – lambshaanxy Jun 2 '17 at 13:07

There is one Zen Temple which does English in Kyoto.

I would suggest you contact them about long term arrangements.

If you are a student and under 30, with some Japanese proficiency. http://nagaokazenjuku.or.jp/english/index.html#sixth

Can't make it to Japan? http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/temples/outside_jp/index.html

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.