We missed the night ferry part of our Rail&Sail connection from London via Harwich to Hoek van Holland due to a series of delayed trains. What are our relevant rights and how do we claim those? The detailed situation is below; perhaps too much detail but I suspect some details may be relevant so I have included it all.
- We have one ticket from the north of England to London Zones 1-6 and one Rail&Sail ticket from London Liverpool Street to Any Dutch Station.
- Train into London Euston, scheduled arrival 19:14, actual arrival 19:37, 23 minutes late.
- As a consequence, we missed the 20:00 departure from London Liverpool Street to Harwich International, scheduled to arrive there 21:22, with change in Manningtree (turns out this would have become 21:42).
- We then took the 20:30 train from London Liverpool Street to Manningtree, aiming to take a taxi from there. Scheduled arrival 21:33, actual arrival 22:00, 27 minutes late. Pre-booked taxi for 22:00 had not arrived by 22:10 so we took the 22:12 train from Manningtree instead.
- Next train from Manningtree to Harwich International, scheduled arrival 22:28, actual arrival 22:56, 28 minutes late.
At 22:56, no Stena Line personnel were available to assist us, so we booked into a nearby hotel at our own expense.
I fully expect that Stena Line will let us board the day ferry the following morning, but what are our rights regarding (1) delay repay, and (2) compensation for hotel costs? Is this situation covered by CIV?
Edit: Next morning, a member of staff from Stena Line informed me that they guarantee the connection from the train if and only if people board according to the schedule recommended online.