I am an American student in the United States who is planning to travel to Germany this summer for a month and a half. I will be working there.

According to Article 14 in the employment ordinance , "(2) No consent shall be required for the granting of a residence permit to students and pupils from foreign universities and technical colleges for a period of up to 90 days during a period of twelve months, which has been mediated by the Federal Employment Agency."

Does this mean that I don't need a visa? I already have some sort of authorization from the German Federal Employment Agency. Is this enough?

  • I believe this is correct. Work authorization and authorized presence are considered separately. Because you will be in the Schengen area for less than 90 days, you do not need a visa. Do note that if you are in Germany for 45 days then you will not be able to spend more than 45 days in other Schengen countries during the same summer.
    – phoog
    May 26 '17 at 22:11
  • 1
    Is your work related to being a student? (e.g. You are paid to be a lab assistant, course instructor etc) Or is your work unrelated to being a student? (e.g. You are working as a bartender, tour guide or camp councilor, etc in a capacity unrelated to being a student during an academic break.) May 27 '17 at 2:15
  • 1
    I really think you should make sure about that working angle. German Federation of Labor could be an awkward translation of a either a trade union (which can't grant permits) or a Federal agency. Ask on Expatriates SE, maybe?
    – o.m.
    May 27 '17 at 3:54
  • @phoog You are wrong. Germany does not issue separate work permits. The right to work in Germany for non-EEA citiziens can only be granted optionally as an 'add-on' to a residence permit. May 27 '17 at 7:58
  • @Sam Which act are you quoting from? Article 14 of the residence act covers unlawful presence and the text you have quoted can not be found on the internet, except in your question here. May 27 '17 at 8:01

As stated by the German MFA (translated from German)

Citizens of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea and the US can also obtain the necessary residence permit after entry.

So no, you do not need a visa, but can apply for a residence permit through the migration office (Ausländerbehörde) once in Germany.

  • 3
    He doesn't need, and will not be granted, a residence permit, because he won't be staying for more than 90 days.
    – phoog
    May 27 '17 at 1:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.