I have six-month multiple-entry business Schengen visa, issued by the French Embassy.

I am planing to go to France for business (or work) in June and then come back home, a non-European country.

In July, I want to go to Spain and Italy for holidays.

  • Can I use this visa for a holiday only (no business during the trip)?
  • Do I need to enter Europe first through France?

1 Answer 1


Unlike the United States, there's no split between "business" and "holiday" visas. For example, check this document listing -- among many other things -- the categories of visas:

  • Short stay visa: a “Schengen” visa one or multiple entries, allowing the holder to stay in the Schengen Territory up to 90 days per 6 months
  • Long stay visa: Visas for stays exceeding 90 days are national visas, and are issued by member states in accordance with national legislation.
  • Airport transit visas: required by the nationals of certain countries. (Not for R.S.A. citizens).

As for going to Spain on a visa issued by France, there won't be any problems especially if you visited France already. I will try to find an official source for this, until then check this answer.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .