My Europe-based company has offered to allow me to work during my holidays in New Zealand which would really help out.

I go there the 1st June.

Do I need a special visa or is a tourist one OK?

  • Further to this, are there any countries nearby (i.e in Asia) that would allow me to work for my country at home without Visa ?
    – Ryan Giggs
    May 24, 2017 at 5:17

1 Answer 1


I'm living in NZ, what I can see from my experience if your company is Europe-based and you come to NZ with a tourist/visitor visa and you work remotely with your computer for that company then, there wouldn't be any problem.

Now the problem is if you come to NZ and you are trying to work for a NZ company and or doing some freelance job here, then you need a work visa for that and you have to pay taxes.

NZ Immigration website: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas

  • 2
    There is no way the asker can trust this answer without any additional sources.
    – user253751
    May 26, 2017 at 10:07
  • What do you mean @immibis ?
    – Matt
    May 27, 2017 at 23:47
  • 1
    1) I mean that I would not trust the advice of some random stranger on the Internet regarding immigration law, unless they at least showed me a relevant page on the relevant immigration authority's website, and 2) asking someone if they're a troll is very impolite.
    – user253751
    May 28, 2017 at 2:26
  • This might help then: immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas
    – Matt
    May 28, 2017 at 2:36
  • It might but it doesn't. Check my answer to the more generic version of this for how it looks when a country allows for this: they specifically define that this sort of remote work is not considered "work" for visa purposes. I have never seen similar for New Zealand.
    – user4188
    May 28, 2017 at 6:11

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .