I'm currently in Switzerland for a short term study & have been given a Swiss Permit (that expires October).

Thing is: I have to return to my home country - for a short personal visit before returning to Switzerland. The travel is about a week long. Am I right in saying that my Swiss permit allows me to re-enter Switzerland without a visa ? My passport requires me to obtain a visa for a lot of countries.

  • what are your citizen?
    – Marcel P.
    Commented May 22, 2017 at 19:00
  • 1
    Should be no problem. To make absolutely sure, could you tell us the exact type of permit you have (in French or German)? Specifically, we need to know what's written under “Art des Titels/Catégorie de titre” if it's a plastic card or the big letter on the cover if it's a booklet.
    – Relaxed
    Commented May 22, 2017 at 19:27
  • 1
    @Relaxed is there any category of Swiss residence permit that does not permit the bearer to leave and re-enter Switzerland?
    – phoog
    Commented May 22, 2017 at 19:41
  • @phoog Permit is awfully vague, the OP did not even use the word “residence”, I prefer to check. I have no reason to think it's the case here but I would generally expect a temporary document issued after applying for asylum to have such restrictions. In France, people who apply for a residence permit after a period of illegal stay (you can qualify if you have a child who is ill, if you worked in France for more than five years, etc.) also receive such a document while their application is processed. It's rare but they do exist, some distant relatives actually had one in the past.
    – Relaxed
    Commented May 22, 2017 at 20:59
  • (Technically, I think it's the case for all first applications for a residence permit but if you haven't stayed illegally before, you should generally be covered by a long-stay visa while your first application is being processed so you don't really care.)
    – Relaxed
    Commented May 22, 2017 at 21:03

1 Answer 1


Yes, you may obviously leave and return to Switzerland as often as you want. All residency permits work as Schengen visas when it comes to entering and leaving the Schengen area.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .