I was administratively removed from the UK in 2010 after overstaying my student visa. I had completed my MSC programme in marine engineering.

I am Nigerian and now my state government is sponsoring me for a PhD programme in Strathclyde, Glasgow. I am married now (wasn't then) and this sponsorship covers all our living expenses for 3 years.

What are my chances of getting a visa? How can I be convincing enough that I will be returning back this time after my Phd since I have a job waiting for me?

closed as primarily opinion-based by user 56513, Giorgio, Kris, Gayot Fow, David Richerby May 23 '17 at 10:11

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    I'm voting to close this question because it is primarily opinion based. Although you are free to apply to enter the uk (see travel.stackexchange.com/questions/60240/…) since you do not indicate you have a ban, nobody knows whether you will be granted the visa or not. or quantify your chances. – user 56513 May 22 '17 at 15:04
  • 1
    Slim and none and Slim is on his way out of town. Nigerian, overstay, administratively removed: Not a combination that will evoke much sympathy with ECO. – user57303 May 22 '17 at 15:53
  • You will never know unless you apply. – greatone May 22 '17 at 17:21