I am US citizen. Do I need UK visa for short stay as voluntary research student. My finance will be cared by my college in us and my parents.


  • What do you mean by short stay? How long is it going to be? – user 56513 May 18 '17 at 20:19

As you mentioned you are a US citizen, so you will get 6 months entry on arrival at any UK airport, they will simply stamp your US passport and enter a date and a code manually,

that's what they did to me 4 months ago,

i hope this will help you to plan your trip,

Enjoy your trip.

Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/united-kingdom.html (although this says only 90 days but experience and all sorts of unofficial sources claim six months).

The visitor rules are at UK Immigration Rules. These should be examined prior to departure.

The UK Site's Check if you need a UK visa determines which nationalities require a visa.

  • 1
    I updated your answer. It's three months not six and you didn't specify a source. – chx May 18 '17 at 20:18
  • thanks for the modification , they wrote 6 months with black pen on top of the entry stamp, might be by mistake VO wrote 6. – Nestsouls May 18 '17 at 20:20
  • 1
    I updated again. gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/overview says six months on a visa and probably the same stay applies visa free but I can't find the length of visa free stays on the gov.uk anywhere. – chx May 18 '17 at 20:34
  • 1
    @chx all the UK stamps in my US passport say six months. It's definitely six months (absent unusual circumstances, of course). – phoog May 18 '17 at 23:34

As stated by Timatic, the database used by airlines:

Visa required, except for Nationals of USA for a maximum stay of 6 months.

So no, you do not need a visa

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.