I am a Research Scholar and an Indian National and had applied for a Standard Visitor Visa (Academic Visitor upto 6 months) to the UK. I was invited by a faculty at King's College London (KCL) to informally interact with him on a topic of discussion. This is purely an informal academic visit and not an internship. For this I had given an invitation letter from him stating clearly the same and also other supporting documents.

The ECO at SHEFO got King's College confused with University College London (UCL) and, hence, could not find any supporting documents from the ones I had submitted regarding UCL. So, my visa was refused. How do I go about overturning this decision? I have mailed them and also tried calling them but got no response.

I'm due to leave on May 21, 2017. I haven't yet cancelled my flight bookings and reservations. Here's a scan of my refusal letter.

Refusal Letter

  • 1
    Is it possible your supporting documents were lost? Were they returned to you? Has been known to happen. The refusal was also quite broad, broader than we normally see here which typically will reference the specific subsection e.g v4.2(a) or v4.5(c) May 16, 2017 at 12:19
  • 4
    I redacted your info from the refusal. Why does the ECO say that the academic at KCL is not aware of your visit or expecting you? Do you have reason to believe that he was contacted to confirm what you had provided (whether it was KCL or UCL)? Have you contacted him?
    – Giorgio
    May 16, 2017 at 16:57
  • 1
    Maybe you could upload the redacted documents you sent to support your invitation. May 20, 2017 at 3:34
  • 1
    @MarkMayo absent the supporting documents that OP says are the cause of the refusal, IMO there is no way to adequately respond and think it should be closed as unclear. OP has not returned to the site since 21 May (and may not).
    – Giorgio
    Jun 7, 2017 at 13:32
  • 2
    @theotherone King's College has a campus in Coventry. Jun 19, 2017 at 9:58

1 Answer 1


This answer may be moot since the deadlines have already passed however what I learned from Gayot Fow (to whom thanks) is that an indirect and usually quicker way of getting a case like yours heard exists (particularly if you believe it is mainly due to the mix-up of the universities and your application is otherwise strong): it's called a fresh application; if you had included documentation clarifying the mix-up, you would have had great chances for success.enter image description here

Go to: Apply for a UK visa on the UK.GOV website and start.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .