My flight is LAX to Narita and to Haneda for my connecting flight going to the Philippines
My questions are:
Do I need a transit visa?
Do I need to claim my luggages before proceeding to my connecting flight
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It only takes a minute to sign up.Sign up to join this community
Filipino citizens are not visa-exempt nationals according to the Japanese regulations. In addition, you need a visa if you leave the airport. This means that, for the purpose of transferring from Narita to Haneda, you will need a Transit Visa. The Japanese embassy in the US lists the documents required to apply for such a visa:
- Applicant's valid passport, properly signed by bearer.
- VISA APPLICATION FORM TO ENTER JAPAN (available here), completely filled out and signed by the applicant.
- One photograph (2" x 2") attached to application form
- Flight itinerary issued by travel agency or airline company (We advise you not to purchase your airline ticket until the visa is approved.)
- Visa for the next destination (if required) to be visited after Japan must already be in the passport at the time of application.
- If stay in Japan exceeds one night: Proof of sufficient funds (e.g. most recent U.S. bank statement, travelers' checks or letter of guarantee from friend/relative in Japan)
As of October 15, 2018, Filipino passport holders must meet 5 conditions for a Shore Pass when transiting airports in Japan. This information comes from a representative at ANA over the phone. She read the rules.
No hotels are provided as a general policy for long layovers.
As stated by Timatic, the database used by airlines:
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets transiting to a third country can obtain a Shore Pass on arrival for a max. stay of 72 hours only if there are no connecting flights on the same calendar day.
Which means, if you're making an overnight connection, you do not need a visa, and will get an entry stamp for 72 hours.
Otherwise, you do need a transit visa