I have been looking for a step up transformer to use a 140W appliance from China in the US. Ideally it wouldn't be one of the big bulky ones!

The closest thing I have found so far is this transformer, but I would need an adapter at both ends (I think) to be able to plug it into a US outlet and to be able to plug my US appliance into it.

Does anyone know of a more suitable transformer, ideally that wouldn't require additional adapters?

closed as primarily opinion-based by JoErNanO May 12 '17 at 14:21

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • What does "good" mean for you? Unfortunately this is a subjective term and therefore we can't really answer this. – JoErNanO May 12 '17 at 14:22
  • By "Good" I mean one that doesn't require additional adapters to work mostly, but also will work OK for a 140 Watt appliance. – Ben Holness May 12 '17 at 15:52
  • I have changed "Good" to "Suitable" – Ben Holness May 12 '17 at 16:02
  • 1
    @BenHolness The StackExchange Q&A is best suited for questions that have a single, definitive answer; it doesn't work well for suggestions or reviews, which seem to be what you are asking for. Please take the site tour and review the help center and see if the question can be phrased so it doesn't ask for suggestions or lists. – choster May 12 '17 at 16:12
  • Eg. What are the characteristics I should look for in an adapter to do xxxx? – Spehro Pefhany May 12 '17 at 18:56

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0022QOSDK?psc=1 or similar is probably okay. enter image description here

I have a couple similar ones and a Chinese power bar. If you can find them locally you can save on shipping (a proper transformer will not be light!).

I appreciate your desire to have something small and light, but keep in mind that virtually none of these devices are UL or CSA approved (CE means nothing) and I feel much safer with something inside a GROUNDED METAL BOX, so even if it fails the worst you will likely get is some lungs full of toxic smoke, and not a fire or a fatal electric shock.

The shown receptacles accept both the parallel blade Chinese style and the angled variety, as well as the 2-pin Euro style. Not that securely, but they fit in.

I would also take the ratings with a bit of a grain of salt, and stay well below the maximum rating.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.