I am a Canadian Erasmus student in Italy and my permesso di soggiorno expires June 30th 2017, but my multi-entry student visa (D) does not expire until October of 2017. I want to stay in Italy for July and August to do some traveling within the country, but I am worried that this may be a problem.

Am I allowed to remain in Italy for these months with an expired permesso but a valid student visa? Would I have to leave when my permesso expires and re-enter as a tourist (being that I am allowed to be here for 90 days without a visa as a Canadian)?

  • Honestly I would ask at an official institution to be 100% sure. You don't want to overstay your Visa and then potentially be banned to enter the Schengen countries for the next few years just because someone on here misinterpreted the rules.
    – szoszk
    Commented May 9, 2017 at 0:42
  • I have, only problem is I'm not really getting a straight answer from anyone unfortunately! I figured this might bring some type of clarity aha
    – Lara
    Commented May 9, 2017 at 18:52
  • Did you already ask the Canadian embassy in Italy?
    – szoszk
    Commented May 9, 2017 at 18:53
  • No but I will give them a try! -- do you by chance have any idea what the answer might be though??
    – Lara
    Commented May 9, 2017 at 19:10
  • I don't know. I don't understand the rules either. In theory though it seems like you can just stay in the Schengen Area after the residence permit expires, until your student visa expires.
    – szoszk
    Commented May 9, 2017 at 19:32

1 Answer 1


I do not see any problem if your visa is still valid and you do not stay longer than 90 days total in 6 months period. Often different Italian authorities could give you different answers :) Immigrations officers in the airports in Italy don't care much when you leave the country as long as you have anything valid you should be fine. It could be a good idea to send an email to your consulate and have a printed answer with you.

  • The 90/180 restriction does not apply to people who hold a type D visa.
    – phoog
    Commented May 22, 2017 at 18:53

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .