My name on my passport is XYZ only. XYZ is my first name; there is no last name and my F1 visa FNU (first name unavailable) XYZ (last name). I am planning to apply for a name change in my passport from XYZ to XYZ (first name) ABC (last name).

I will get a new passport after the name change. Would I also have to get a new F1 visa, or the old one will work? I have an affidavit from the court stating that I have changed my name from XYZ to XYZ ABC.

Changed the first name to XYZ and last name to ABC due to privacy concerns.

  • There is no hard and fast rule. Many married women for example continue using their passports with their old name and visa after they change their name. Your case is a little different because you are getting a new passport in a different name. As a former F1 student myself and the heavy scrutiny of F1 visas now, my advice will be to get a new visa when you travel outside the country to avoid the real possibility of being refused entry. May 8, 2017 at 13:57

1 Answer 1


This is what Department of State says on it's FAQ.

Q. I changed my name. Is my U.S. visa with my old name still valid?

A. If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered name change, you will need to obtain a new passport. Once you have a new passport, the Department of State recommends that you apply for a new U.S. visa to make it easier for you to travel to and from the United States.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.