My husband and I live in Japan and we're planning to travel to South Korea this June. We both hold a Philippine passport with a long-term resident Japanese visa. Do we still have to apply for a visa at the immigration or can we just do it online?

  • 2
    Could you clarify, please, whether you have Residence Card, or the special Long Term Resident Visa, or both, as those with a Residence Card do not need a visa to visit Korea, according to Timatic.
    – Giorgio
    May 20, 2017 at 0:50
  • 1
    @Dorothy Wrong, Japanese residency is not included
    – Crazydre
    May 21, 2017 at 12:27

1 Answer 1


As stated by Timatic, the database used by airlines:

Visa required, except for Nationals of Philippines with a visa issued by Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA or United Kingdom if in transit through Korea (Rep.) [for max 30 days].

Japan is not in the list. So unfortunately, you do need a visa

  • 1
    And in any case, the exception only applies "if in transit".
    – fkraiem
    Jun 27, 2017 at 13:09
  • 1
    @fkraiem Which means not flying directly to the country you came directly from. They're flying the same route in both directions (I assume)
    – Crazydre
    Jun 28, 2017 at 8:43
  • I have no idea what you're trying to say; it seems clear to me that they're flying from Japan to SK, and then back to Japan. That's not "transit", so the exception wouldn't apply even if Japan were in the list.
    – fkraiem
    Jun 28, 2017 at 9:29

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .