I have been working to get my family into the United States for over a year. My wife is Mexican and son was born there. My wife got her permanent resident visa just 2 months ago, and my son had his birth abroad certificate approved just a week ago.

Would there be any problems crossing with just my son's birth abroad certificate as evidence, if we cross as a family? We would have other proof that the child is ours, like Mexican birth certificate, hospital certificate etc. My son is 3 months old.

  • 3
    By "birth abroad certificate" do you mean the consular report of birth abroad (CRBA)? Are you entering by land or air?
    – phoog
    Apr 28, 2017 at 22:08
  • I am entering by land Apr 29, 2017 at 22:09

1 Answer 1


You will be fine.

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?


U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.

A consular report of birth abroad is not a birth certificate, but it is definitely "other proof of citizenship."

Source: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .