This question already has an answer here:

My husband is travelling back to SA in 3 weeks. He is a dual citizen AUS/SA. His SA passport is expired. What should he do when crossing immigration controls in South Africa?

  1. Enter on AUS passport and hope they dont notice his place of birth 'Cape Town'


  1. Enter on expired SA passport and just tell them he made a mistake by not checking it early enough to renew for this trip?

marked as duplicate by JonathanReez Apr 27 '17 at 12:43

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • Not an answer, but a lot of us ex-South Africans actually were unaware of the law to return on SA passports until recently, and I know many who have gone back with say, a NZ or Aus or UK passport and nobody batted an eyelid. All entered on their foreign passport as a tourist. I suspect the law is not policed, but like I said, this is just from word of mouth from several dual passport holders that I know. – Mark Mayo Apr 27 '17 at 12:09
  • 2
    Strictly speaking, he should do neither; he should apply at the South African consulate for a new passport or emergency travel document. – phoog Apr 27 '17 at 12:18
  • If the situation is anything like that in the US, it isn't at all strict, and there will be no problem to travel on the Australian passport, as noted by @MarkMayo. I looked at the High Commission's website, and passports seem to take a long time, while emergency documents are said to be limited to "strictly" emergency situations. Still, you might want to call them. Mark, were any of the people you write of born in SA? – phoog Apr 27 '17 at 12:39
  • @phoog all of them. – Mark Mayo Apr 28 '17 at 2:10
  • @MarkMayo can you reconcile their experience with the story in Richard's comment where "they only got more mad"? – phoog Apr 28 '17 at 2:15